About Me

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Solution: Cannot browse the web but Yahoo Messenger is still on? pldt dsl

I am using a pldt xyzel modem p600 series and since this rain has started this past few days i kept on disconnecting. I kept on calling pldt costumer service and they told me to restart my modem,restart computer,disconnect modem, and honestly not one of it gave me the solution. It really irritates me when im in a middle something important since i am into online business. So its a really big hassle for me if it keeps on disconnecting.

The only thing that's wondering me is why my yahoo messenger or my downloads (torrent) is still on while i cannot browse the internet. Well luckily for me and for you too i found a solution.

Problem: Cannot browse the internet but Yahoo messenger/Downloads is still on.

Probable Reason: Computers behind Router is having problems with your automatic DNS settings.

Solution:

Try to configure your DNS settings manually.

Here are the simple steps:

For XP users:

* At the bottom left of your screen look for START.
click 1. START
2. CONTROL PANEL
3. NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS
4. NETWORK CONNECTIONS
5. right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION or INTERNET icon
6. PROPERTIES a new box will popup
7. look for THIS CONNECTION USES THE FOLLOWING ITEMS: box
8. scroll down look for INTERNET PROTOCOL(TCP/IP) double click
9. in the GENERAL TAB choose USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVERS:

INPUT THESE (CHOOSE ANY YOU LIKE):

58.69.254.3
58.69.254.4
58.69.254.8
58.69.254.9
58.69.254.43
58.69.254.46
58.69.254.70
58.69.254.72
58.69.254.103
58.69.254.104
58.69.254.106
58.69.254.133
58.69.254.134
58,69.254.135
58.69.254.137
202.57.96.4
203.87.128.3
203.172.11.21
203.172.11.25
203.172.11.26


For Vista/Windows 7 users:

* At the bottom left of your screen look for START.
click 1. START
2. CONTROL PANEL
3. NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS
4. NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER
5. CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS
6. PROPERTIES a new box will popup
7. choose the name of your connection DOUBLE CLICK it
8. PROPERTIES
9. look for THIS CONNECTION USES THE FOLLOWING ITEMS: box
10. double click INTERNET PROTOCOL VERSION 4 (TCP/IPv4)
11. in the GENERAL TAB choose USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVERS:
(Choose any DNS from above after step 9 of xp users)


Update: The DNS that im using on this tutorial are from my ISP here in the Philippines. Please check your ISP if they can provide you with your proper DNS settings.

Please leave any comment before you leave.

.

19 comments:

  1. Got this problem too on my laptop. Nakalimutan ko lang yung steps nga ginawa ko but after reading this post i finally remembered it.

    This is a good post!

    Keep it up Kiel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's after step 11 for windows vista users? we have to input a DNS server address, any idea what we should input?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello William,

    You can choose any kind of DNS from the above just like in the XP after step 9..

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI there,

    i tried this but not working for me still same problem. pls help

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell me what is your OS.

    Do you have any P2P softwares like torrent,ares and such. Try to uninstall them.

    If you have Any Firewall software installed try to disable it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi I have tried above with vista but still not working although it says that i am connected

    ReplyDelete
  7. "hi I have tried above with vista but still not working although it says that i am connected"

    Make sure you have installed the proper drivers for your computer.

    Please give more information like, are you using a laptop? are you behind a router? can you connect to the internet and get disconnected or you cannot connect all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  8. my internet browser is not working on my laptop. The connection is fine and is using the router at my home. all other desktops and laptops are working in my house except for mine. I click on IE and it constantly says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" so what do i do?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The DNS that i am providing in the post are DNS for PLDT its my ISP here in the Philippines. Check your own ISP if they can provide you with other DNS settings that you can use.

    Try disabling your firewall for the mean time firewalls restricts outgoing/incoming connections, Especially norton firewall/antivirus or some antivirus softwares.

    Check if there are computers having the same IP..if two or more computers are having the same IP most likely only one will connect to the internet.



    Have you tried using FireFox? its a free browser made by google. Or try their latest Chrome its very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an older HP laptop and am having similar problem. I have Comcast for my provider. I use FireFox mostly. Currently my borwser will not work (neither FireFox or Internet Explorer). My Microsoft Outlook will still send and receive emails and my connection to my router is fine, but the browsers will not work. I don't know what to do. Any help?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have any AntiVirus or Firewall installed? if so try disabling or uninstalling it first and run IE or Firefox.

    FYI most Firewall softwares blocks programs specially those that connects to the internet.

    Also try to check your firewall settings and make sure IE or Firefox is included in the exceptions tab.

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have the same problem, a laptop with 3 different browsers that won't work, but email is functioning and the link is good. We tried taking down the firewall, but still no browsers would work. The other 2 laptops in the house and on the same router are working fine. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  13. can the 3 laptop connect to the internet ? or you have a connection but cannot browse?

    Have you tried changing the DNS of each laptop? remember that the DNS that im providing is from our ISP. Look for your own DNS or ask from your ISP.

    Sometimes when your on a router and two or three computers have the same IP only one will connect. Make your each laptop has different IP.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have two laptops..one is vista (hp compaq) the other is linux (acer aspire one)...even though i can connect both these guys to my internet connection,only the linux one is able to browse the net properly..the vista one is connected and the downloads are working (but slow) ,but i cant browse the net in that...i tried changing the dns address,but it didnt help..(is there a site which gives the dns address for each country?) im in dubai,uae....please help...

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello, i am having major problems with my comp. its a Dell Ispiron, i am having the same problems with my internet. i followed your steps till i got to "change adapter settings". i cannot find that option anywhere in Network and sharing center, could you tell me where that is exactly?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. i had this problem i fixed it by changing my default dns manually in the ipv4 settings to 192.168.1.1 (same ip as my router) i had dhcp but it stopped working for some reason)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks so much! this really works! so happy. I can now work online again. whew!

    ReplyDelete
  18. IT WORKED! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I faced this problem and solved it by copying same settings for internet connectivity or i can say DNS settings in both messanger,gtalk and my web browsers which are chrome and mozilla firefox and it worked perfectly thereafter

    ReplyDelete